The ASE Council on Vascular Ultrasound was founded in 2007 and is dedicated to representing and advancing quality in vascular ultrasound imaging.
- Support vascular ultrasound interest areas by communicating issues of importance to the membership;
- Provide guidance to the Board regarding vascular ultrasound;
- Provide a forum for members with similar interests to network;
- Provide a representative (council chairman) to ASE Board of Directors;
- To provide educational offerings for those practicing cardiovascular ultrasound for vascular patients, including guidance to Scientific Sessions Program Committee
- To provide guidance on standards of care related to vascular ultrasound to the Board and Guidelines and Standards Committee
Vascular Council Activities
- Quarterly article in JASE (these are available to the public; the most recent column is available here.)
- Guideline documents and white papers
- Targeted track at ASE Scientific Sessions instructing how to perform vascular ultrasound, review clinical cases, and understand risk assessment in the practice of primary prevention
- Advocacy efforts related to vascular ultrasound practice
- Vascular community on Connect@ASE
- Bi-monthly message from chair
- Resource library
- Allows members to discuss issues and network
- Forum for news and announcements about ASE and vascular ultrasound
Vascular Travel Grants:
- Scientific Sessions Travel Grant Opportunity for Sonographer and Physician Trainees in Vascular Ultrasound: Deadline March 1, 2015
The ASE Education and Research Foundation plans to sponsor two vascular ultrasound trainees (physician student or sonographer) to attend the 26th ASE Annual Scientific Sessions in Boston, June 12-16, 2015. This travel grant is part of an effort by the ASE Vascular Council Board to encourage physician trainees in cardiovascular specialties to focus on the field of vascular ultrasound, to encourage sonographers with an interest in vascular imaging, and to recruit enthusiastic new members to the Vascular Ultrasound Council. Application for the travel grant requires submission of a brief vascular ultrasound case study for potential publication on the ASE Vascular Council Website. Students in an ultrasound training program, residents and fellows in vascular surgery, cardiovascular medicine, and vascular medicine may apply. All sonographers with strong interest in vascular ultrasound are also invited to apply. To apply for the $1000 travel grant please submit a brief vascular case study, along with your CV, a cover letter describing why you desire to attend the ASE Scientific Sessions, plus a letter from either your training program director or vascular lab director in support of your application to firstname.lastname@example.org
- This year’s recipients are: Katerina D. Exis, RDCS, RVT, Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, Bethesda, MD, Brooke Harland, MEd, RDCS, RVT, Baptist Health Lexington, Lexington, KY, Anyi Liu, RDMS, RDCS, RVT, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, OH, who presented her case at the council business meeting
Vascular Abstract Award given to best vascular abstract at the Scientific Sessions
This year, 11 abstracts were accepted in the Vascular Disease category. One was selected as a finalist in this year’s Young Investigator’s Award Competition. Dr. Shahryar Chowdhury presented his work “Differences in Lean Body Mass May Explain the Racial Disparities Seen in Carotid Intima-Media Thickness in Obese Children” at the conference and was selected as the 2013 Vascular Abstract Winner. Congratulations to Shahryar M. Chowdhury, Melissa Henshaw, Brad Friedman, Janet Carter, Bryana Levitan, Tom Hulsey of the Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston.
Participating in the Council on Vascular Ultrasound:
Membership in ASE’s councils is a complimentary member benefit. You can join one or more subspecialty councils of interest to you by checking the relevant boxes on your membership application or by selecting them in your online membership profile.
Most of the information about council activities, announcements, discussion boards and volunteer opportunities are available in the council’s community on Connect@ASE, ASE’s online networking site. This site is an ASE member benefit, and allows council members the opportunity to network, discuss issues, be aware of deadlines for travel grants and volunteer opportunities, and be in the know about council initiatives, concerns and news. Members can opt for daily or weekly digests of news related to the council communities in which they chose to participate. Simply opt to join the communities of interest to you by clicking on the “communities” tab on your Connect@ASE homepage.
Council on Vascular Ultrasound Leadership:
Chair: Naomi Hamburg, MD
Chair-elect: Soo H. Kim, MD, MPH, RPVI
Imiate Past Chair: Vijay Nambi, MD, FASE
Members at large: Veerendra Chadachan, MD; Fadi Shamoun, MD; Rene Quiroz, MD; Amer Johri, MD, FASE; Taseem Naqvi, MD
Sonographer Representatives: Susana Perese, RVT, FASE; Kathleen M. Garcia, BS, RVT, RDCS, FASE; Anyi Liu, RDCS, RVT, RDMS