The ASE Council on Vascular Ultrasound was founded in 2007 and is dedicated to representing and advancing quality in vascular ultrasound imaging.
- Support vascular ultrasound interest areas by communicating issues of importance to the membership;
- Provide guidance to the ASE Board of Directors regarding vascular ultrasound;
- Provide a forum for members with similar interests to network;
- Provide a representative (council chairman) to ASE Board of Directors;
- To provide educational offerings for those practicing cardiovascular ultrasound for vascular patients, including guidance to Scientific Sessions Program Committee
- To provide guidance on standards of care related to vascular ultrasound to the Board and Guidelines and Standards Committee
Vascular Council Steering Committee Activities
- Quarterly article in the Journal of the American Society of Echocardiography (JASE)
- Targeted track at ASE Scientific Sessions instructing how to perform vascular ultrasound, review clinical cases, and understand risk assessment in the practice of primary prevention
- Advocacy efforts related to vascular ultrasound practice
- Vascular community on Connect@ASE
- Bi-monthly message from chair
- Resource library
- Allows members to discuss issues and network
- Forum for news and announcements about ASE and vascular ultrasound
2017 Scientific Sessions Vascular Travel Grants Applications
Application window will open November 1, 2016.
The ASE Education and Research Foundation plans to sponsor two vascular ultrasound trainees (physician student or sonographer) to attend the 28th ASE Annual Scientific Sessions in Baltimore, June 2-6, 2017. This travel grant is part of an effort by the ASE’s Council on Vascular Ultrasound Steering Committee to encourage physician trainees in cardiovascular specialties to focus on the field of vascular ultrasound, to encourage sonographers with an interest in vascular imaging, and to recruit enthusiastic new members to the Vascular Ultrasound Council. Students in an ultrasound training program, residents and fellows in vascular surgery, cardiovascular medicine, and vascular medicine may apply. All sonographers with strong interest in vascular ultrasound are also invited to apply. To apply for the $1000 travel grant please submit your CV, a cover letter describing why you desire to attend the ASE Scientific Sessions, plus a letter from either your training program director or vascular lab director in support of your application. Deadline for Submission is April 1, 2017. Submissions should be emailed to Natalya Read at email@example.com.
- 2016 Travel Grant Recipient: Olivia Yau, M.Sc. Candidate, Queen’s University, Kingston, Ontario- Canada
Vascular Abstract Award given to best Vascular Abstract at Scientific Sessions:
Dr. Chadi Ayoub presented his work “ Assessment of Mid Ascending Aortic Diameter by Transthoracic Echocardiography: Age and Sex Specific Reference Values in Adults with and without Systemic Hypertension” at the conference and was selected as the 2016 Vascular Abstract Winner. Dr. Ayoub is with Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN.
Participating in the Council on Vascular Ultrasound:
Membership in ASE’s councils is a complimentary member benefit. You can join one or more subspecialty councils of interest to you by checking the relevant boxes on your membership application or by selecting them in your online membership profile.
Most of the information about council activities, announcements, discussion boards and volunteer opportunities are available in the council’s community on Connect@ASE, ASE’s online networking site. This site is an ASE member benefit, and allows council members the opportunity to network, discuss issues, be aware of deadlines for travel grants and volunteer opportunities, and be in the know about council initiatives, concerns and news. Members can opt for daily or weekly digests of news related to the council communities in which they chose to participate. Simply opt to join the communities of interest
Council on Vascular Ultrasound Steering Committee:
Chair: Esther Kim, MD, MPH, RPVI, FASE
Chair Elect: Amer Johri, MD, FASE
Immediate Past Chair: Naomi Hamburg, MD, FASE
Members at large: Brian Fowler, RVT, FASE; Ricardo Benenstein, MD, FASE; Robert Eberhardt, MD, FASE; Tasneem Naqvi, MD, FASE; Rene Quiroz, MD, FASE; Fadi Shamoun, MD, FASE; Bryan Wells, MD