The Richard Popp Excellence in Teaching Award will be presented in June 2015 at ASE’s 26th Annual Scientific Sessions in Boston, MA
This award was named in honor of Richard Popp, MD, and recognizes a physician who epitomizes the ideal qualities of a mentor and role model. This award recognizes an outstanding teacher nominated by his or her students and peers. ASE created the award to focus our attention on the important role teaching and mentorship play in influencing and improving the echocardiographers of the future.
Mikel D. Smith, MD, FASE
University of Kentucky Medical Center, Lexington, KY
- Demonstrates outstanding teaching characteristics and mentoring, and because of these attributes, has made a major impact on practitioners in the field of cardiovascular ultrasound
- Accomplishments as an Educator in the field of cardiovascular ultrasound
- Strength of support letters
- Number of fellows/students
A physician member of ASE with FASE recognition who has demonstrated outstanding teaching characteristics and mentoring, and because of these attributes, has made a major impact on practitioners in the field of cardiovascular ultrasound.
While this award is open to all ages, the spirit of the award correlates to a physician in his/her early career rather being a lifetime achievement award. Previously nominated candidates will be considered, if re-nominated with supporting letters. Previous award recipients are not eligible.
- ASE members should submit a letter of nomination addressing the person’s qualifications for the award, including a copy of the nominee’s CV which includes a list of their fellows/ students that they have trained and/or mentored (and their current work placements, if known)
- Nominations should include additional letter(s) of support
- Address all nominations to Chair, ASE Awards Committee, 2100 Gateway Centre Blvd., Suite 310, Morrisville, NC 27560 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
|Deadline for Receipt of Nominations:||November 30, 2014|
2012: Gerard P. Aurigemma, MD, FASE
2011: Jonathan R. Lindner, MD, FASE
2010: Vincent L. Sorrell, MD, FASE
2009: Rebecca Hahn, MD, FASE
2008: Roberto M. Lang, MD, FASE
2007: Susan E. Wiegers, MD, FASE
2006: John Gorcsan, III, MD, FASE
2005: Michael H. Picard, MD, FASE and James D. Thomas, MD
2004: William A. Zoghbi, MD, FACC, FASE, FAHA
2003: Linda D. Gillam, MD, FASE
2002: Robert A. Levine, MD
2001: Sanjiv Kaul, MD, FASE