The Richard Popp Excellence in Teaching Award was named in honor of Richard Popp, MD, and recognizes a physician who epitomizes the ideal qualities of a mentor and role model. This award recognizes an outstanding teacher nominated by his or her students and peers. ASE created the award to focus our attention on the important role teaching and mentorship play in influencing and improving the echocardiographers of the future.
- Demonstrates outstanding teaching characteristics and mentoring, and because of these attributes, has made a major impact on practitioners in the field of cardiovascular ultrasound
- Accomplishments as an Educator in the field of cardiovascular ultrasound (years in the field, personal awards, and invited related lecturers/presentations)
- Strength of support letters (letters from trainees and/or mentees carry more weight for the nomination than general letters of support)
- Number of fellows/students
A physician member of ASE with FASE recognition who has demonstrated outstanding teaching characteristics and mentoring, and because of these attributes, has made a major impact on practitioners in the field of cardiovascular ultrasound.
While this award is open to all ages, the spirit of the award correlates to a physician in his/her early career rather being a lifetime achievement award. Previously nominated candidates will be considered, if re-nominated. Previous award recipients are not eligible.
- ASE members should submit a letter of nomination addressing the person’s qualifications for the award, including a copy of the nominee’s CV which includes a list of their fellows/ students that they have trained and/or mentored (and their current work placements, if known)
- Nominations should include additional letter(s) of support. Letters from trainees and/or mentees carry more weight for the nomination than general letters of support.
- Nominations from the previous year may be carried over to current year for consideration, provided new letter of nominations are submitted. Nominations may only be carried over for 1 year.
- Address all nominations to Chair, ASE Awards Committee, 2100 Gateway Centre Blvd., Suite 310, Morrisville, NC 27560 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
DEADLINE FOR RECEIPT OF NOMINATIONS: October 28, 2016 – Nomination submission is now closed for 2017.
Click here to view past Richard Popp Excellence in Teaching Award Recipients