Scope of Practice for the Diagnostic Ultrasound Professional
The purpose of this document is to define the Scope of Practice for Diagnostic Ultrasound Professionals and to specify their roles as members of the health care team, acting in the best interest of the patient. This scope of practice is a “living” document that will evolve as the technology expands.
Definition of the Profession:
The Diagnostic Ultrasound Profession is a multi-specialty field comprised of Diagnostic Medical Sonography (with subspecialties in abdominal, neurologic, obstetrical/gynecologic and ophthalmic ultrasound), Diagnostic Cardiac Sonography (with subspecialties in adult and pediatric echocardiography), Vascular Technology, and other emerging fields. These diverse specialties are distinguished by their use of diagnostic ical ultrasound as a primary technology in their daily work. Certification1 is considered the standard of practice in ultrasound. Individuals who are not yet certified should reference the Scope as a professional model and strive to become certified.
Scope of Practice of the Profession:
The Diagnostic Ultrasound Professional is an individual qualified by professional credentialing2 and academic and clinical experience to provide diagnostic patient care services using ultrasound and related diagnostic procedures. The scope of practice of the Diagnostic Ultrasound Professional includes those procedures, acts and processes permitted by law, for which the individual has received education and clinical experience, and in which he/she has demonstrated competency.
Diagnostic Ultrasound Professionals:
- Perform patient assessments
- Acquire and analyze data obtained using ultrasound and related diagnostic technologies
- Provide a summary of findings to the physician to aid in patient diagnosis and management
- Use independent judgment and systematic problem solving methods to produce high quality diagnostic information and optimize patient care.
1 An example of credentials: RDMS (registered diagnostic ical sonographer), RDCS (registered diagnostic cardiac sonographer), RVT (registered vascular technologist); awarded by the American Registry of Diagnostic Medical Sonographers,® a certifying body with NCCA Category “A” membership.
2 Credentials should be awarded by an agency certified by the National Commission for Certifying Agencies (NCCA).
- Society of Diagnostic Medical Sonography
- American Institute of Ultrasound Medicine
- American Society of Echocardiography*
- Canadian Society of Diagnostic Medical Sonographers
- Society for Vascular Sonography* Qualified endorsement
ASE-Endorsed Professional Liability Insurance Program
We are pleased to inform our members about the opportunity to secure an ASE-Endorsed Professional Liability Insurance Program.
ASE gives this program exclusive endorsement because:
First, it provides critical security and peace of mind. This ASE-Endorsed Program provides personal protection that goes beyond the limitations of most employer-provided programs. There is 24-hour a day protection on the job, outside the primary place of employment, and even during job changes.
Second, the program is offered by Healthcare Providers Service Organization (HPSO), an organization that specializes in administering insurance coverage to over a million healthcare providers nationwide. HPSO offers outstanding service to their customers, as they truly understand the needs of the healthcare professional, and do all they can to provide prompt and courteous service when you need it.
Third, the comprehensive scope of the program provides a more than adequate level of coverage, and comparatively is very affordable.
To receive your Quick Quote now:
1. Go to the HPSO Quick Quote page
2. Fill out Questions 1-6. For Question 2, select your most appropriate profession out of the options below:
Diagnostic Medical Sonographer
3. Upon completion of this step you’ll be provided a Quick Quote for your Professional Liability Insurance Program and have the opportunity to complete a full application.
Thank you and feel free to contact HPSO, 1-800-982-9491 or email@example.com, for questions regarding the opportunity to purchase your Professional Liability Insurance Program.