The ASE Council on Perioperative Echocardiography (COPE) is dedicated to representing and advancing quality in perioperative ultrasound imaging.
The ASE Council on Perioperative Echocardiography (COPE) is dedicated to the following objectives:
- Support perioperative echocardiography interest areas by communicating issues of importance to the membership;
- Provide guidance to the Board regarding perioperative echocardiography issues;
- Provide a forum for members with similar interests to network;
- Provide a representative (council chairman) to ASE Board of Directors;
- To provide educational offerings for those practicing cardiovascular ultrasound for perioperative patients, including guidance to Scientific Sessions Program Committee
- To provide guidance on standards of care related to perioperative echocardiography to the Board and Guidelines and Standards Committee
- Quarterly article in JASE
- Guideline documents and white papers
- Educational track at ASE Scientific Sessions
- Advocacy efforts related to perioperative echocardiography practice
- COPE community on Connect@ASE
- Bi-monthly message from chair
- Resource library
- Allows members to discuss issues and network
Outstanding Achievement in Perioperative Echocardiography Award
The field of perioperative echocardiography has substantially benefited from the efforts of numerous committed anesthesiologists and cardiologists who recognize the importance of this imaging modality in the unique environment which extends beyond the conventional ambulatory patient setting. The Council on Perioperative Echocardiography will recognize an individual who has made significant clinical, research and/or educational contributions to the development of the field of perioperative echocardiography.The Outstanding Achievement in Perioperative Echocardiography award is presented at the ASE Annual Scientific Sessions.
- 2017 Scientific Sessions Perioperative Travel Grant
The ASE Education and Research Foundation will sponsor two perioperative trainees to attend the 28th ASE Annual Scientific Sessions in Baltimore, June 2-6, 2017. These travel grants are part of an ongoing effort by the Council on Perioperative Echocardiography to encourage sonographers, fellows or residents to sub-specialize in the field of perioperative ultrasound imaging. The Perioperative Council aims to help interested trainees acquire a deeper understanding of ultrasound imaging and facilitate the development of meaningful mentoring opportunities with established imaging faculty.Trainees, both physicians and sonographers, in an anesthesiology, cardiology, cardiac surgery, critical care or related discipline within a dedicated perioperative echocardiography training program or with an interest in perioperative echocardiography are encouraged to apply for one of the $1000 travel grants. A committee comprising the Perioperative Council Steering Committee will adjudicate meritorious applications. The grant is intended to assist with travel and accommodation costs incurred by the awardee. The application process requires submission of (1) your current CV, (2) a brief, one-page personal statement about why you want to attend the ASE Scientific Sessions and (3) a letter from the director of the training program or echo laboratory director in support of your application. Previous recipients of an ASE Travel Grant are not eligible. Deadline for submission is April 1, 2017. Submissions should be emailed to Natalya Read , firstname.lastname@example.org.
- This year’s recipients are Daniel Walsh, MD, University of Nebraska Medical Center and Lucy Safi, DO, Massachusetts General Hospital.
Participating in the Council on Perioperative Echocardiography:
Membership in ASE’s councils is a complimentary member benefit. You can join one or more subspecialty councils of interest to you by checking the relevant boxes on your membership application or by selecting them in your online membership profile.
Information about council activities, announcements, discussion boards and volunteer opportunities are available in the council’s community on Connect@ASE, ASE’s online networking site. This site is an ASE member benefit, and allows council members the opportunity to network, discuss issues, be aware of deadlines for travel grants and volunteer opportunities, and be in the know about council initiatives, concerns and news. Members can opt for daily or weekly digests of news related to the council communities in which they chose to participate. Simply opt to join the communities of interest to you by clicking on the “communities” tab on your Connect@ASE homepage.
Council on Perioperative Echocardiography Steering Committee:
Chair: Roman Sniecinski, MD, FASE
Vice Chair: Alan Finley, MD, FASE
Vice Chair-Elect: Sasha Shillcutt, MD, FASE
Immediate Past Chair: Madhav Swaminathan, MD, FASE
Surgical Representative: Bradley Taylor, MD
Sonographer Representative: Karen Zimmerman, BS, RDCS (AE, PE), RVT, FASE
Members at Large: Feroze Mahmood, MD, FASE; Alina Nicoara, MD, FASE; Sasha Shillcut, MD, FASE; Mark Taylor, MD, FASE; G. Burkhard Mackensen, MD, PhD, FASE; Sunil Mankad, MD, FCCP, FASE; Frederick Cobey, MD, FASE