The ASE Council on Cardiovascular Sonography is dedicated to the following objectives:
- Support cardiovascular ultrasound interest areas by communicating issues of importance to the membership;
- Provide guidance to the ASE Board of Directors regarding sonographer issues;
- Provide a forum for members with similar interests to network;
- Appoint directors to the ASE Board of Directors (as council representatives)
- To provide educational offerings for sonographers, including guidance to Scientific Sessions Program Committee
Sonography Council Steering Committee Activities
- Monthly article in JASE
- Provide guidance to the ASE Guidelines and Standards Committee relating to Guideline documents and white papers
- Targeted track at ASE Scientific Sessions
- Advocacy efforts related to issues affecting cardiovascular sonographers
- Sonography Community on Connect@ASE
- Monthly message from chair
- Resource library
- Allows members to discuss issues and network
- Forum for news and announcements about ASE and cardiovascular sonography
Criteria for applying for ASE awards for sonographers can be found here.
- ASE Cardiovascular Sonographer Distinguished Teacher Award:
2016: Maryellen Orsinelli, RN, RDCS, FASE
- Sonographer Lifetime Achievement Award: (this award is rotated with the Cardiac Sonographer Distinguished Teacher Award and will be presented every other year.)
2015: Peg Knoll, RDCS, FASE
2017: Margaret “Koko” Park, BS, ACS, RDCS, RVT, FASE
2017 Sonographer Council Travel Grant Applications
The American Society of Echocardiography Education and Research Foundation will sponsor two sonographers to attend the 28th ASE Annual Scientific Sessions in Baltimore, June 2-6, 2017. The ASE Sonographer Council Travel Grant is for sonographers (adult, pediatric, echo and/or vascular) to help fund their travel and registration to the ASE Scientific Sessions. This travel grant is part of an ongoing effort by the Sonographer Council Steering Committee to encourage sonographers in cardiovascular specialties to focus on their respective subspecialty and to recruit enthusiastic new members to the Sonographer Council membership. In addition, the hope of the Council is to provide interested sonographers with a deeper understanding of the imaging field and facilitate the development of meaningful mentoring opportunities with established imaging faculty. To apply for one of the two $1,000 travel grants, you must be an ASE member, registered (CCI, ARDMS or international equivalent) and currently working part time or greater. Applicants should submit a letter to the Selection Committee as to why they would like to attend the Scientific Sessions and what they can bring back to their lab as a result of attending. Please also send a current CV and a letter of recommendation from your supervisor. The recipient will also agree to write an ASE Blue Page article for JASE, based on a set of provided questions, about their experience with ASE and the annual Scientific Sessions.
Please include the following information in your letter:
- Place of employment
- No. of hours worked per week
- Length of current employment
- Statement as to why you would like to attend ASE Scientific Session (personal/professional interests and financial limitations) \
- Your current CV
- Agreement to write a JASE Blue Page article outlining your experience at the Scientific Sessions and what you were able to share with your lab (article based on a couple of provided questions).
Deadline for submissions is April 1, 2017. Applications should be emailed to Natalya Read, email@example.com.
The 2016 recipients are:
- Lisa Bienvenu, RDCS, ACS, FASE; Ochsner Medical Center, New Orleans, LA
- Marissa Gatti, BS, RDCS; St. Thomas West Hospital, Nashville, TN
Participating in the Council on Cardiovascular Sonography:
Membership in ASE’s councils is a complimentary member benefit. You can join one or more subspecialty councils of interest to you by checking the relevant boxes on your membership application or by selecting them in your online membership profile.
Most of the information about council activities, announcements, discussion boards and volunteer opportunities are available in the council’s community on Connect@ASE, ASE’s online networking site. This site is an ASE member benefit, and allows council members the opportunity to network, discuss issues, be aware of deadlines for travel grants and volunteer opportunities, and be in the know about council initiatives, concerns and news. Members can opt for daily or weekly digests of news related to the council communities in which they chose to participate. Simply opt to join the communities of interest to you by clicking on the “communities” tab on your Connect@ASE homepage.
Sonographer resources on asecho.org: ASE offers information on sonographer education and training and FAQs on the following webpage: http://www.asecho.org/clinical-information/sonographer-training/.
Council on Cardiovascular Sonography Steering Committee
Chair: Carol Mitchell, PhD, RDMS, RDCS, RVT, RT(R), FASE
Vice Chair: Margaret Park, BS, RDCS, RVT, FASE
Immediate Past Chair: Elizabeth McIlwain, MHS, RDCS, RCS, FASE
Scientific Sessions Sonographer Track Chair: Deborah Agler, RCT, RDCS, FASE
Vascular Council Representative: Brian Fowler, BS, RVT, FASE
Perioperative Council Representative: Karen Zimmerman, BS, RDCS, (AE,PE), RVT, FASE
Pediatric and Congenital HD Council Representative: Stephanie Nay, RDCS, RCCS, FASE
Advocacy Representative: Joan Olson, BS, RDCS, RVT, FASE
ASE Board: Deborah Agler, RCT, RDCS, FASE; Hollie Carron, RDCS, RDCS, FASE; Keith Collins, MS, RDCS, FASE; Maryellen Orsinelli, RN, RDCS, FASE; Andy Pellett, PhD, RDCS, FASE; Liza Sanchez, RCS, FASE; Elaine Shea, RCS, RCCS, FASE.
Members at Large: Raymond Musarra, RDCS, RCS, FASE; Barry Canaday, MS, RN, RDCS, RCS, FASE; Daniel Bourque, MS, RCS, FASE; Alicia Armour, BS, MA, RDCS, FASE
ASE’s Sponsoring Organizations’ Liaisons:
JRC-CVT: Representative Cathy Carolan, RDCS, RDMS, FASE
JRC-DMS: Representative Chris Kramer, BA, RDCS, FASE
COA-ACS: Representative Michelle Bierig, MPH, RDCS, FASE
CCI Board of Advisors: Representative Richard Palma, BS, RDCS, APS, FASE